Sunday, September 26, 2010

Adventure on Thursday...

As I run down the halls of RRC Thursday afternnon, I curse at my feet for being sore.  Moreover, I think to myself, even though they are cute shoes, how long can I possibly keep wearing high heels. 

I approach busy William Avenue and see my truck parked oh so far away.  As I finally enter my vehicle, I breath a deep breath as I know I am on my way.  On my way to the school, where I taught for 4 years, to see a student that wasn't expecting me to be the one to give him his certificate of acheivement.

As he is called to the office, I sneakily hide half-way in the principals office so he can't see me upon his immediate entry.


The look on his face and the urgency in his step when he realized I was there, was heart-melting. He ran up to me, squeezed me so tightly, and asked the obvious question as to where I am and why I'm not working there.  I explained that just like him, I am learning so much in school and can't be at two places at once.

As the time for first bussers to board is quickly approaching, I tell him I have something for him.  I hand over an envelope sealed with just his name.  As he bounces in his step right beside mine, my feet even more swollen at this moment, I see him to his class.  I notice just how much he has grown over the summer. He asks when I am coming back and I tell him hopefully soon.

With mixed emotions, warm and fuzzy definitely took over the majority of this very day.

2 comments: