Friday, April 15, 2011

The Moonlight Sonata of Beethoven Blatz

moonlightsonata.jpgWhen I was told that we would be attending a play as a part of our  and Creative Writing classes for CreComm at Red River College, I immediately developed a list of expectations in my head.

I have enjoyed live performances at the ballet, attended skits and shows at the Fringe Festival, and have even taken in a few comedy shows over my experience in the melting pot of Winnipeg's performing art scene.

Having not ever been to a theatre play by my own accord, I was pleased to find that all of the expectations I had set were not only met, but surpassed.

The acting in this play was the caliber of which you would see on the screen. As I sat in my firm seat of the Rachel Browne Theatre, I kept saying to  myself, "Wow, I could never act that out while keeping my composure!"

The play had it all. It dealt with old school life of a Mennonite couple on the prairies, the longing one has for a baby after marriage,  and the means by which one is capable of going to in order to have that desire met.

The live musical performances on the piano complemented the play and tied in the entire character of Beethoven Blatz.

The adultery in the play was the only thing I think was presented a bit too casually. I think if the writer had incorporated more of a physical attraction between the characters that committed the adultery, it would have made for a more real-life scenario. It had all seemed a bit too 'mechanical' where as in real life I think the crime of adultery exists due to incredible passion and physical desire.


The scene in which that act takes place almost leaves one to imagine, "Did Beethoven know what just happened?" Meaning that it was so forced, it was almost a criminal act.

The talk-back at the end of the play was a bit disappointing only because we had hoped for a chance to speak with the actors themselves. Wiebe however, did share his thought behind the script but left one question for his audience to answer: What if it was Beethoven's child at the end?

No comments:

Post a Comment