Sunday, January 16, 2011

Carmenere... The lady that ladies love.

In my ongoing pursuit of finding, obtaining and consuming flavorful grapes and barrel aged creations; I am finding my own palate seems to be changing with the season.

I've enjoyed pinot noirs and pinotages in the spring and summer, then I moved over into more heavy bodied wines like a cabernet-shiraz blend and the list goes on. However, in the case of the unique blend found in that of a Carmenere, this grape is going into owning her second season.

The reason for the committed relationship we now endure? The soft, and chocolaty undertones with an ending that finishes exceptionally smooth. In non-wine drinking terms, this means your cheeks don't pucker in after a sip.

As much as I don't always recommend having dinner with wine, or wine with dinner rather, this sultry wine can be consumed on its own or with a traditional cheese platter.
Some soft cheeses I would recommend would be warmed brie, medium cheddar or even a creamed cheese dip for a nice complement.

A myriad of productions of the Carmenere grape are easy to find in local liquor stores. One particular Carmenere however, is not. The favorite pick of the season is the Casa Silva Carmenere which is available exclusively at Banville and Jones retailing for around $14.

No comments:

Post a Comment