Thursday, October 21, 2010

Socially Acceptable Network

In the movie The Social Network, the viewer experiences the creation of Facebook and the trailblazing done by founder and CEO, Mark Zuckerberg. The portrayal of Zuckerberg is done in a way that, not to discredit the ingenuity of the concept of social networking, paints him somewhat a plagiarizing way. 

The movie insinuates at times, Zuckerberg ripped off the idea that came from Harvard students Cameron Winklevoss, Tyler Winklevoss, and Divya Narendra. They accused Zuckerberg of intentionally making them believe he would help them build a social network called HarvardConnection.com (Wikipedia) As a viewer, having the entire movie revolve around lawsuits pending this very issue, I was led to believe the original idea was not owned by Zuckerberg, rather the other students attending Harvard.

If I were Zuckerberg I would feel that the release of the movie has definitely helped facebook.com. Any and all additional information portrayed in this film, is not going to sway the use of the generation of social networkers. I include myself in that particular generation as Facebook sits in a pop-up window at the top of my window, and after seeing the movie, I feel I am more knowledgeable on the creation, however, will continue to use it as my main way to social network.


I believe that Zuckerberg’s response to the release of the movie was just cause. The movie was based upon his creation and coding of facebook.com, and the law suit that followed. As far a Zuckerberg as a person, his response was that this movie is in fact a fiction. I believe that this backup was completely necessary for the mere reasons of my initial first impression of him a person. I don't think his response to the film will sway any audience's perception of the site or its founders. I would have, like him, explained that this movie was fiction. This movie was created like all the other movies in Hollywood, under bright lights and through cameras.


3 comments:

  1. This movie is so interesting. I think that if a movie like this were made for other websites, they may experience a loss in users in light of the negative portrayal of the creators. But not Facebook, it's simply too powerful!

    Ah! It's clutches are surrounding me at this very moment!

    Great work, Jen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I agree with your conclusion that seeing the movie is not likely to dissuade a current user of facebook. In fact it might do the opposite and draw even more than the 500 million who already rely on it for social networking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work! And, I'm thirsty for wine now. Ha, ha!

    ReplyDelete